The fire of 1750
Church following reconstruction ca. 1910


Ca. 1600

First St. Michael’s chapel on the grounds of the cemetery outside the city walls. In 1606, the chapel was expanded to create a small St. Michael’s church.


In the final year of the Thirty Years’ War, architects Corbinus and Marquard began construction of the first large St. Michael’s church, 200 metres west of the small church. It was located in Neustadt, inside the expanded city limits.


The church became the fifth main church in Hamburg, alongside St. Peter's, St. Nicholas's, St. Catherine's and St. Jacob's.


The first large-scale St. Michael’s church was struck by lightning and burnt down.


Architects Prey and Sonnin built the second large-scale St. Michael’s church in baroque style. Between 1777 and 1786, Sonnin constructed the tower entirely out of wood with the signature copper roof.


Work with a blowlamp in the tower caused a devastating fire and the church was completely destroyed.


Construction of the third large-scale St. Michael’s church. The old plans were used, this time utilising steel and concrete inside the remaining walls.


St. Michael’s was heavily damaged by the bombing strikes on Hamburg.


Reconsecration of the church. Only the baptismal font and offering box remained from 1763.


Complete restoration of the tower, renovation of the crypt, the facade and the church interior.



Bank account for donations

Hauptkirche St. Michaelis
IBAN: DE49 20050550 1226 1252 25
Bank: Hamburger Sparkasse


Hauptkirche St. Michaelis zu Hamburg
Englische Planke 1
20459 Hamburg
Tel.: +49 (0)40 376 780
Fax: +49 (0)40 3767 8310
Email: infost-michaelisde

Opening Times

November to April
Daily from 10.00 a.m. to 5.30 p.m.

May to October
Daily from 9.00 a.m. to 7.30 p.m.