St. Michael's organs

St. Michael’s has always housed exceptional organs, including the organs of Arp Schnitger (until 1750), Zacharias Hildebrandt (until 1906) and finally an organ from the company Walcker & Cie between 1912 and 1945, which for a time was the largest church organ in the world.

In the 1950s, when the large organ had to be rebuilt, members of the St. Michael’s church council thought about electrically connecting the main organ to the Marcussen organ in the concert gallery.

The actual reorganisation of the organ system entailed renovating the large organ and reconstructing the concert organ in line with the original design. Particular attention was paid to constructing a new antiphonal division, inspired by the then famous antiphonal division of the Walcker organ, and installing a central console in the concert gallery which connects all three organs.

Together, the present-day organs at St. Michael’s form a magnificent system like no other. In 2009 and 2010, companies Johannes Klais Orgelbau in Bonn and Freiburger Orgelbau Hartwig und Tilmann Späth worked together on the organ system.

The large organ

The large organ in the west gallery stems from 1962 and has five manuals, a pedalboard, 86 stops and 6,674 pipes.

The concert organ

The concert organ in the north gallery is from 1914. It has been renovated twice and features two manuals, a pedalboard with 42 stops and 2,671 pipes.

The antiphonal division in the loft

The antiphonal division in the loft above the Steinmeyer organ has 17 stops. An acoustic channel measuring 20 metres in length carries the sound up to the ceiling rose in the centre of the church ceiling at a height of 27 metres. The organ is played from a primary console.

Primary console

The large organ, concert organ and antiphonal division can be played from the mobile primary console (2009) located in the north gallery.

The primary console features five manuals, 145 stops, numerous special functions and electric/electronic control. A computer system was installed for the purpose of storing registrations.

The Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach organ

The Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach organ was built by the company Freiburger Orgel Hartwig und Tilmann Späth in 2010 and has 13 stops on two manuals and a pedalboard.

The Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy organ

Located in the crypt, the Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy organ is a Romantic instrument supplied by the Striebel company in 1917, and features seven stops on two manuals and a pedalboard.


Bank account for donations

Hauptkirche St. Michaelis
IBAN: DE49 20050550 1226 1252 25
Bank: Hamburger Sparkasse


Hauptkirche St. Michaelis zu Hamburg
Englische Planke 1
20459 Hamburg
Tel.: +49 (0)40 376 780
Fax: +49 (0)40 3767 8310
Email: infost-michaelisde

Opening Times

November to April
Daily from 10.00 a.m. to 5.30 p.m.

May to October
Daily from 9.00 a.m. to 7.30 p.m.